The Kennett Jaycees are partnering with KAFTA to bring a Chili Cook-Off to Fall Into Arts.
The Chili Cook-Off will take place on Saturday, September 6th at the Kennett Courthouse Square.
Interested persons or groups can display their cooking skills by competing in the Chili Cook-Off for just $25. There will be three categories by which teams are judged. First through third places will be awarded in the following categories: Blind Judging Panel, People’s Choice, and Showmanship. The People’s Choice is the portion where members of the community can sample the various chilies made by each team and vote on their favorite.
Set up begins at 8:30 a.m.
Mandatory Chief Cook’s Meeting at 9:00 a.m.
Blind Judging Entry at 1:00 p.m
People’s Choice Judging 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Showmanship Judging 2:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Awards Presentation at 4:30 p.m.
1. $25.00 Entry Fee per Team.
2. Maximum 5 Members per Team, each additional team member is an extra $5.00 per person. Each team site is approximately 8'x10' in area. If special accommodations are needed, please contact us in advance.
3. All entries must be turned in by August 30. Any entry form received after August 30 be charged an additional $5.00 or $30.00 at the door.
4. Teams may begin cooking at any time after site and meat inspection following the Mandatory Chief Cook’s Meeting at 9:00 a.m.
5. All food must be cooked on site!!! Food must be prepared in the open. All food must be prepared in a clean and sanitary manner.
6. All Chili must be cooked from scratch. “Scratch” is defined as starting with raw meat. No marinating is allowed. Commercial chili powder is permissible, but complete commercial chili mixes (“just add meat” mixes that contain premeasured spices) and canned chili is NOT permitted.
7. Cooking conditions are subject to inspection by the Chili Cook Off Committee.
8. Teams DO NOT need to provide sample containers; those will be provided by the Chili Cook-Off Committee.
9. Teams may cook their chili with either gas or electric heat; however, if a team chooses to use gas heat, they must have an acceptable and approved fire extinguisher on site.
1. Each team will be provided a numbered container to submit their chili for blind judging. Teams must not mark or alter their containers in any way that could make them identifiable. Any marked, altered, or identifiable container entries will be subject to disqualification by the Chili Cook Off Committee.
2. Each team must submit their provided container, filled ¾ to full, between 12:55 p.m. and 1:05 p.m. Any entries submitted after 1:05:00 per the official turn in clock, will be disqualified.
3. Each team’s container will then be renumbered and presented to the panel of blind judges for judging.
4. Each team’s entry will be judged based on the following criteria: Aroma, Consistency, Color, Taste and Aftertaste.
5. Ribbons will be presented to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place finishers.
People’s Choice Award
1. The Chili Cook Committee will be selling commemorative mugs that will serve as each voter’s sampling container. Also, each voter will have an armband that they will use to cast their vote when they are through judging. Please note, to be a voter, they must have BOTH a mug and an armband!
2. It is up to each Team to prepare enough chili for their Blind Judging submission and for all the People’s Choice voters. The Chili Cook Off Committee makes no assurances how many voters will be present, so cook enough, do not give too much away for each sample, etc.
3. After the voter has finished trying all the chili they want, they then vote for their favorite chili by placing their armbands in the associated team’s container. Voters are not required to try all teams chili. Voting ends at 4:00:00 p.m. The team with the most votes wins. Any ties will be broken by the results of the Blind Judging Contest.
4. Ribbons will be presented to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place finishers.
1. All teams are encouraged to participate in the Showmanship Award. Teams may decorate their cook sites, dress in costume, perform skits, shows, etc. Nudity, lewdness and profanity are banned from showmanship. Intentional use by any contestant will result in disqualification of that team.
2. The Showmanship Award judging will be from 2:00 p.m. until 2:30 p.m. or until all teams have been judged.
3. A panel of judges chosen by the Chili Cook Off Committee will go to each teams site, in random order, and you will be presented the opportunity to display your showmanship.
Teams will be judged on the following criteria: Theme, Costume, Booth set up, Action and Audience Appeal.
4. Ribbons will be presented to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place finishers. Any ties will be broken by the results of the Blind Judging Contest.
To register, please fill out the registration form and send completed form and payment to:
Attn: Chili Cook-Off
PO Box 165
Kennett, MO 63857
For more information call:
573.888.2600 or 573.344.1711